THE WOODCROFT BOWLS CLUB HISTORY
Sunday 18th November 2018 9:54 am
The Eltham Conservative Bowls Club was formed in 1932 and continued for 81 years to be part of the bowling fraternity in South East London and beyond into Kent. In 2010 Greenwich Council recieved a petition protesting against what was then the Eltham Conservative Club being refurbished. With only a few names on the list the petition apparently disappeared into oblivion. However it was soon discovered that the refurbishment of the club was quite an ambitious plan...........
"Refurbishment of the Eltham Conservative Club including the construction of a two storey side extension, ground floor side and rear extension, first floor side extension and new car park layout. The proposal also includes the development of the site to provide 13 houses (12 x 3 bed and 1 x 4 bed) and 8 flats (2 x 1 bed and 6 x 2 bed ) with associated car parking and vehicular access (off Footscray Road), provision of a Community Hall, relocation of bowling green, associated landscaping and refuse storage provision".
The most obvious change was the the name of both the Club and that of the Bowls Club when in September 2013 it was Renamed The Woodcroft Club and The Woodcroft Bowls Club. It was not long before the resited green appeared and with much hard work it eventually became one of the best in South East London, if not the County of Kent. The green overlooks the housing developement which previously was the club car park. Once a gents only bowls club today the bowls club has a Ladies Section and a full fixture list for both as well as various competitions to participate in.